Scalefast Post Covid Customers Report
The study, conducted online by our partner Scalefast with research company YouGov, uncovered customers changing behavior and expectations regarding their shopping experience moving forward.
- Customers behavior has changed permanently
- Customers can be worried if they cannot access their favorite products
- Perception of ecommerce operations excellence is changing
- 29% might be anxious about not being able to find the products they are looking for
- 28% admit they will be less interested to try items in a store
- 20% are scared the brands they like might go out of business
It is key to address those anxieties and reassure customers through increased communications, robust marketing as well as a good information process.
New customer behaviors
- 24% of consumers say that their shopping habits will have changed permanently
- 36% will be comfortable returning to stores immediately
- 24% say they will be more likely to purchase directly from a brand’s shop
Brands are being forced to re-think their distribution strategy managing both online and offline sales as well as finding the right mix of retailers, direct-to-consumer and marketplaces.
Changing perception of ecommerce operations
- 45% are planning to be more patient regarding longer delivery windows
- 27 % will pay more attention to shipping costs
- 22 % are expecting more flexible return policies
Brands need to adapt their direct-to-consumer strategy to those significant changes in how the customer is thinking about their purchases.
Those changing times are creating a world of new opportunities for brands. If positioned properly, brands will be able to win new and direct customers, strengthening they relationship with them and ultimately increasing their margin. A growing direct-to-consumer channel will also provide more leverage to better compete with big marketplaces and retailers. Finally, by adopting the right business approach and technology brands can test various idea and scenarios to identify what resonates best to their clients and create this extra added value that will match their needs and expectations.